As business users push for faster and easier ways to roll out the applications they need, cloud usage is on the rise. As a result, many cloud projects are initiated outside the realm of IT – without the clear requirements or measurable objectives that should govern any IT project. You can use our questionnaire to assess your organization’s cloud readiness and review the top 10 considerations for cloud computing to put your project on the right track.
Take a strategic approach to cloud computing
Cloud computing provides new opportunities for transforming how IT services are procured, deployed and managed. While the potential benefits of cloud have been clearly communicated – reduced capital investments, lower total cost of ownership,faster deployments and instant scalability – much confusion still exists. There are conflicting definitions of “cloud,” multiple providers to choose from, and many questions about which applications should be prime candidates for running in the cloud.
The whitepaper, “Top 10 Considerations for Cloud Computing" provides you with a checklist for taking a more strategic approach to cloud. It can help you:
• Determine how cloud computing fits into your overall IT initiatives
• Identify applications and workloads to run in the cloud
• Prepare for the hybrid cloud trend
The whitepaper provides guidance on adopting cloud services, evaluating delivery models and vendors, and navigating your organization through the challenges so you can take advantage of this major computing trend.
It sets out the information in the form of ten checklists:
1. Understand what makes a cloud a cloud
2. Roll cloud into IT service delivery strategies
3. Ready the organization for change
4. Evaluate cloud models
5. Prepare to manage hybrid clouds
6. Use your network
7. Consider portability needs
8. Plan for managed growth
9. Identify application candidates for cloud
10. Address mobility demands
Are you ready for the Cloud?
You can use the information in the white paper to help plan your path to the cloud. To focus attention on the most important issues and challenges, we suggest asking the following questions:
• What servers and storage do you host in branch offices and why are they in the branch?
• What applications run in your branch offices and are they write-intensive and/or do they require local storage to perform?
• What concerns do you have about “disconnected operations” that may have forced you to maintain servers/storage in the branch?
• What process do you operate to protect data in branch offices and who manages the process?
• What recovery point and time objectives (RPO/RTO) do you have for remote offices?
• What concerns do you have about the security of data created and hosted in branch offices?
• If you could remove branch storage and manage branch data in the data centre without impacting branch performance – would you?
• UK market analysis shows that 85 percent of companies have used cloud services for some of their IT. How many of your workloads/applications do you feel could be pushed into the cloud?
b. Up to 10 percent
c. Up to 25 percent
d. Up to 50 percent
e. 50 percent +
• What is the main consideration that has prevented you from adopting more cloud IT services?
h. Data sovereignty
View more stories
Swift uses AT&T network to extend secure financial services across the Middle East
AT&T's consumer portal Ecospace receives Outstanding Achievement awards from Interactive Media Awards
AT&T and GE sign global alliance agreement for Machine-to-Machine solutions
AT&T and Infiniti Red Bull Racing rev up for 2014 season
Mobilize Enterprise Apps
What does the “Office of the Future” look like? New research from 20,000 global leaders reveals all
Security Event and Threat Analysis
Getting ready for cloud computing
MPLS VPN: The network foundation for your business communications
What’s your organization’s digital maturity?
AT&T reports solid third-quarter financial results
Texting while driving - It Can Wait
Industry Analyst Alerts
Catch up with AT&T at the first global industry events of 2014
AT&T and industry awards